All you wanted to know about carbon monoxide

Some gas fired even with the greatest care and regular monitoring can be dangerous - it is no coincidence that carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is one of the leading news in the heating season.

What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, lighter gas than the air, and normally goes out through the chimney system due to the incomplete combustion of natural gas and does not enter the living space. This is also of great importance because the initial signs of inhalation are so mild that we can easily think, "I'm kidding this little headache in the morning."

Its danger is due mainly to the fact that 250-300 times more binds to blood hemoglobin than oxygen, so its presence virtually chokes the cells, preventing the body from transporting oxygen. After inhalation it is slowly excreted from the body, while oxygen deficiency can damage the vital organs. With high concentration of inhalation it can therefore lead to death within minutes.

What to watch for each unit?

Gas appliances have a decade-old history - of course there are some that are almost completely safe, but no caution.

For example, the gas appliance type "A" includes a gas stove. It is characterized by combustion using the air in the room and the combustion product can not be drained - in the closed airspace the CO level begins practically immediately. For such devices:

be aware of systematic ventilation, especially during use,
Do not replace the doors with open airtight joints!
"B" type gas appliances are the most dangerous category - these include open-flue gas-fired appliances. The problem is usually caused by the lack of knowledge of the operating principle. The combustion product goes through the chimney and leaves the cover, and the keyword is the draft. With airtight closing doors, we actually quench the chimney and the combustion product will sooner or later return to the living space. Especially when we start the hood.

For these devices do not:

installation of rubber sealing doors,
ventilation openings,
central vacuum cleaner, hood extractor, fireplace, stove installation.
Finally, the "C" type gas appliances are those where the combustion process takes place in a closed space, blocked from the dwelling. In theory there is no risk of backflow, but it is a gas device, and for the sake of perfect safety there is better caution.

Protection against a silent killer

The simplest, fastest and cheapest choice is a CO sensor. This is a tiny structure, which requires no special expertise to be installed or installed, but can save lives.

It is also recommended that you install it "soon" to replace your gas equipment for safer use.

One sensor ranges between 6-15 thousand forints, depending on how sensitive a device is - and saving life.

Place the CO sensor in an easily visible position, preferably with a "B" type gas appliance, if there are more than one device in each room. The sensor can be placed on the ceiling or on the wall. What you need to do is install over the upper edge of the doors and windows, but at least 15 cm from the ceiling. For sensors placed on the ceiling, it must be at least 30 cm from each side wall.

If carbon monoxide was measured by the sensor ...

For the more sensitive CO sensors, the minimum amount of carbon monoxide is also displayed on the display. While the sensor is not alarming, there is no cause for panic, but if we find that CO is in the air, immediately ventilate the room thoroughly.

If we have used type A gas equipment for the last few hours, the minimum measured value may be the combustion product of this device. After ventilation, keep the sensor open - if the carbon monoxide level rises again and there is not or is not currently in use our "Type A" device, do what it would do for an alarm.

If the sensor is alarming ...

As a first step, try not to panic. If the concentration of carbon monoxide has reached the alarm level, we can still get out of the apartment. If we can do this, open the windows and doors, ensuring the ventilation, and leave the apartment immediately.

Ensure proper ventilation of the apartment when the air movement cleansed the air and the alarm no longer indicates, we can return to the building. Disconnect the gas appliances and call the installer immediately. In case of possible poisoning due to inhaled carbon monoxide, contact your doctor immediately to avoid any further problems.

english flag hungarian flag

This page is under development.

This page will show the saved favourites, orders, chimney-plans and worksheets.

The webshop profile can be shown by following this link.

This page is under development.

Later you will be able to view and order products on this page.

Now the basket is available here.

The site uses cookies. Further information